- Note: This feature is exclusive to the Space Race DLC
Rival Colonies are Mars colonies founded by Sponsors which weren't selected as the player colony and compete for Milestones and Planetary Anomalies. Up to three Rival Colonies can be added. As Rival Colonies expand and develop their infrastructure and their progress can be followed in the Planet View.
The Colony has a Standing with each Rival Colony, ranging from -100 to 100.
Each diplomatic action can only be used once every 5 Sols for each Rival Colony.
- Offer Resources: Loads a landed rocket with the selected resource and sends it to the Rival Colony once refueled. +20 Standing.
- Initiate Trade
- Exchange Technologies: Requires Good Standing and both colonies having at least one technology the other doesn't.
- Request Resources: Requests a Rocket loaded with the selected resources. Requests they don't have enough resources for will be grayed out. If Standing is Bad or Hostile they will refuse and give another -10 Standing.
- Insult: -40 Standing with the insulted Rival Colony, +10 Standing with all other Rival Colonies.
Covert Ops require a Rocket loaded with 15 Fuel and 3 Officers, will lower Standing and have a chance to fail. Successful Covert Ops they will bring benefits to the Colony at the expense of the Rival Colony but failed Covert Ops will have the 3 Officers arrested and lost. Each Covert Op can only be done once every 10 Sols for each Rival Colony.
- Steal Drones: Steals a large amount of Drones. Least dangerous Covert Op.
- Steal Technologies: Steals a random technology. If the Rival Colonies doesn't have any new technology it will steal 1,000 research points instead.
- Recruit Colonists
- Sabotage buildings to delay milestone and Expedition progress
The Sponsor of a Rival Colony determines its behavior and initial Standing with the Colony.